wood back

Thursday, August 18, 2016

No creative title; tiki skirt

I have a lot of refashions to post. Let's get these done. I'll start with a skirt resizing. So...not really a refash, but it's a great skirt.
That skirt is too damn big. Too long and way too much room in that big fold-over waist at the top.
Can you see the pattern on that?
It's great. What are those tiki...things? Tiki statues? I bought it for three or four bucks, it was half off something. I knew it was too big, but small-ing it would have some challenges. For starters, it was in two layers. Underneath the visible layer was an additional layer to give it some poof.
I just cut out the whole inner layer. By now it was early June so that would be better. One problem solved. See that waist area? It's just a big folded over thing with no elastic in it. It was way too big and I seriously didn't know how to deal with that.
I decided I should probably take in the whole damn thing. There was plenty of room. I cut out sections from each side, but left the top portion intact so I could deal with that later.

What's that saying? Cut several times, measure never? Yeah, that's right. Let's see...
Ha ha ha, that happened. My estimates were way off! So, I went ahead and took in the sides of that knit waist area. Then I did this:
See that elastic piece that I just used to fill in the too small area? That would be the new waist. The material on top of that would fold over, hiding that "fix." This also solved the problem of the too long length.
It worked!
It's my favorite summer jam: the full midi skirt with cropped tee!




No comments:

Post a Comment