wood back

Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Moody and her Ghosts


Ahem. About the title...
 
 The song is actually called "Jenny of Oldstones."

It's Game of Thrones Season!

There are few things I love in this world more than Game of freakin' Thrones. At the time of this writing, there are three episodes left. Three glorious Sunday nights and then there will be no more Westeros, no dragons, no Kings Landing, and no more Jon Snow.
 Anyway, I was rifling through the bins at the Goodwill outlet last week when my eyes spotted this:
 
It's a pillow sham.

If you've watched any of season 8, you might see where I'm going here. That faux fur reminded me of something!

********Spoilers Ahead!*******

The show (and yes, also the books) is full of symbolism. Even the costumes help tell the stories. Here Daenarys Targaryen, who's spent the last seven seasons trying to reclaim the throne once held by her father, as she was believed to be the rightful heir.
This season, she rode her dragons to The North with Jon Snow. Since winter has come, she wears a luxurious fur coat. She looks cold as ice as she prepares to rule the Seven Kingdoms.
Only thing I rule over is a wrestling ring.
Well, sometimes... (Check posts tagged WAW Wrestling for the background.) My boyfriend Chris hasn't wrestled since our last stint four years back where we did a GoT gimmick with fur capes and whatnot. He agreed to do a short stint for a special event; but he needed a story.

Here's how our story played out!

This time we did it as our oldschool characters. Our angle started when Christian Sain, (my guy) stormed the ring after a long absence to flip out on Derek Conway, a commentator who brought up his name during the previous show. It was a paranoid meltdown where he raged against Conway for "saying his name!"
The next week, he came back and pulled the same stunt. But this time he swerved and instead of taking issue with Conway, he called out: "Stop saying my name... Henry!"
 It was like in this scene when Sansa turned the tables on Littlefinger

Henry is our very popular, good guy announcer. Now Chris has really hammered it home that he's the villain. Conway came in to save Henry and there was a brawl. This week, the company president intervened to put a stop to her man. (That's me.)
I apologized on behalf of Christian Sain and promised to keep him away. Conway wasn't convinced. I left the ring while he looked at me with shifty eyes.
This was meant to put suspicion about my true intentions into the viewers' minds. Of course, Conway called for a match with Sain, who refused saying he was a 4X WAW Champion and would only do a match if it was for the WAW title. And he knows that his girlfriend will make that happen.
Hmmm...will I be a fair and just queen? Or would I take the side of my partner and screw everyone over?
That's what they're doing with the Daenerys' storyline. Will she bend the knee for Jon Snow when she finds out he is actually the heir to the throne? Or will she just have her dragon shoot fire and burn everyone like her father, "The Mad King" would do?
There is a 0% chance that anyone who saw my costume for the Special Event Show, Legacy, understood that my costume was a reference to the small similarities to our stories. It's like an Easter egg, a symbolic thing that no one will notice.
So what will I do with that pillow sham?
 It's a no-sew!
I draped it over my shoulders and safety pinned it under the arms like that. It was like a "shrug" top like this:

The Dragon Queen always displays her house sigil and has a huge, sparkly dragon thing on her coat. My "house sigil" is a bee or a star (my name is Moody Starr so that checks out.) I pulled out some pendants and pinned them on with a medieval looking brooch.
Here's what it looked like!
That's "backstage" maybe I'll check Facebook for an in-ring shot later.
If you're still reading this, thanks!
And if you're wondering what happened at Legacy? You're probably not, but just in case...
I told Christian Sain that he would be fighting for the title and he would be in the main event...but not tonight.
I demanded he give Conway the match. They fought and Sain was defeated but then they shook hands to great applause and it was a happy ending.

1 comment: