wood back

Monday, November 3, 2014

November Rain thrift hoard

I don't know why that old Guns N' Roses song that goes "and it's hard to hold a candle, in the cold November rain" was circling my head recently, but it seemed appropriate. Saturday nights are always hard for me, and last week was no exception. It was a rainy night and I hadn't left the apartment all day. At one point, I just got in my car thinking I should find food or something. The rainy streets of my downtown neighborhood seemed hushed by the weather. I thought about the many bars and restaurants in walking distance to my home and how much I missed having places to go and reasons to go to these places. I'm a reclusive stranger in my own hometown. I was thinking that I could write about how I was feeling. I wanted to say that you can't escape loneliness. There's nowhere for me to be.
Are you depressed yet?
I apologize for the sad share, you just wanted to look at some pictures, right? Anyway, I realized that it was the day after Halloween (which passed by me as I sat costume-less at home). That meant that the vintage clothing Goodwill was selling at inflated prices as Halloween costumes would surely be marked down. I remembered yet another song; take it away, Petula Clark: when you're alone and life is making you lonely, you can always go...away from downtown and to the thrifts.
Here are a few things I picked up recently, then I'll show you some dresses.
I haven't listed these yet, I'm just showing off the raw footage. There's an incredible unicorn velvet painting.
I'm in love with this luggage set. I'm not sure it will sell in that no-fun color, but I happen to like the slate gray hue. It only cost $4 for the whole set.
Plastic jars for desk organizing. I love that stuff, with the primary colors and whatnot.
Here are some of the dresses I got on the cheap from the half off Halloween racks. Remember when I was talking about inescapable loneliness up there? In a slightly ironic turn of events, as I parked my car at Goodwill that night, I found that I wasn't alone. I really don't have time to go down this rabbit hole, but some faces from the past where walking in just as I was about to get out of my car; not friendly faces... I just can't go there. I constantly see them at the thrift stores (we used to go together) and end up avoiding them. I hate it.
But this dress should cheer up the mood a bit. It's a bright, flowery Lanz Original. As I submerged it into my sink for a delicate hand washing, I found something in the pocket.
A sweet old matchbook! There it is after I let it dry.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that this pink satin jacket isn't actually from the Korean War era. It's probably 80s, but with such nice embroidery.
Those two aren't exactly fun, just cheap. The left one is a deep maroon, polyester maxi dress that's about 20 feet long. The other is a "Free People" dress with a nice print that I'll just wear myself.
I keep embiggening the pics to try and show detail. No thrift haul would be complete for me, if I don't bring home something to refashion. Look at the triangle print, it's so cute. 
Finally, this dress doesn't look so special, but it is because it's by Vera Neumann. It's got a ladybug tag and everything. It's hard to get a nice picture of a size 12 swing dress on a small dress form.
I'm out. Linking up with Sir Thrift A Lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment