wood back

Thursday, November 20, 2014

Sad songs say so much

A short time ago, the blog, Jezebel featured a post titled, "Which Sad Songs Do You Listen yo When You're Sad?" The author and the commenters listed and shared the songs that they considered sad.
I was underwhelmed. None of the songs mentioned were mine, and many of them weren't even close to mine! "Don't Let Me Get Me" by Pink? "Wonderwall" by Oasis? No thank you!

So, I obviously had to make my own list. I think the Seasonal Affective Disorder ("SAD" lol) is kicking in, because I've been more miserable than usual lately.
Interestingly enough, the song for which my post's title came from, "Sad Songs (Say So Much)" by Elton John is not on my list. It's such a positive little tune, it doesn't make me sad. But, HOW RIGHTEOUS ARE THESE LYRICS!
If someone else is suffering enough to write it down
When every single word makes sense
Then it's easier to have those songs around
The kick inside is in the line that finally gets to you
and it feels so good to hurt so bad
And suffer just enough to sing the blues


Nevertheless, my list:
1. Of Monsters and Men- Little Talks
 There's an old voice in my head that's holding me back
Well tell her that I miss our little talks
Soon it will be over and buried with our past
We used to play outside when we were young
And full of life and full of love.

I've been told that these lyrics are about elderly people and dementia. It makes me sad because the comforting male voice reminds me of how my ex, John spoke to me when we were friends.

2. Carly Simon- Comin' Around Again
(honorable mention: That's the Way I Always Heard it Should Be)
I know nothing stays the same
But if you're willing to play the game
It's coming around again
So don't mind if I fall apart
There's more room in a broken heart

The opening chords are just so sadly beautiful. This woman just speaks to me and I guess the simple use of the term "broken heart" seems fitting in describing my own mindset.


3. Amy Winehouse- Back to Black
You went back to what you knew
So far removed from all that we went through
And I tread a troubled track
My odds are stacked
I'll go back to black 

When things started getting dark for me, I remember identifying with Amy Winehouse, for whatever reason

4. Michael Penn- No Myth
 
Why yes, this singer is the brother of Sean Penn. I can't put my finger on what I find sad about this haunting melody. I like the mention of Heathcliff, the brooding soul from Wuthering Heights.

5. .38 Special- Caught Up in You
 You made me realize the love I'd missed
So hot, love I couldn't quite resist
When it's right, the light just comes shining through

Dude, what? Those guys that did "Hold on Loosely" in the 70s? You'd be right to question my inclusion of this happy-in-love song. Well, sometimes happy tunes remind you of a happy time that you'll never experience again, and thus; sad song.
In the sad Summer of 2013, right around my birthday...I was driving around with my then bf, Falcon. It was a shit year, but when I was with him I felt good. It was a hopeful feeling I had on that Summer day. I remember comparing .38 Special to Foreigner and Falcon said that there was no comparison because "every time you hear Foreigner, it feels like the first time," and I thought that was adorable. Only a week or two later, he was gone. "Caught Up In You" instantly brings me back to when I felt that joy that wasn't meant to be.

6. Iggy Pop and Kate Pierson- Candy
 
 Candy, Candy, Candy I can't let you go
All my life you're haunting me
I loved you so
Life is crazy
Candy baby

I've totally mentioned this song on this blog before. The line that says "I can't let you go" speaks to the part of me that can never let go of the past.

7. The Killers- When You Were Young
 
And sometimes you close your eyes
And see the place where you used to live
When you were young

I find a lot of The Killers' songs to be somewhat melancholy. This one reminds me of my advancing age and the sadness of missing days of youth.

8. The White Stripes-Dead Leaves on the Dirty Ground
I didn't feel so bad till the sun went down
then I come home
no one to wrap my arms around

Oh, god...the pain of loneliness and missing those lost loves. That video is perfect.

 9. Kansas-Dust in the Wind
  Now, don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It's cool, I'm only including this song ironically. I know that I've hummed this song before in a joking sense, probably like Will Ferrell sang it in Old School. It's still pretty damned sad though. Like, when I reminisce about my days in WAW. Nothing lasts forever, indeed.

10. Tori Amos-Winter
Cause things are gonna change so fast
All the white horses have gone ahead
I tell you that I'll always want you near
You say that things change, my dear

I've mentioned and probably posted this song before. It's about my unwillingness/inability to grow. Things changed but I couldn't change with them, and now I'm left with nothing. I never wanted John to be out of my life, but like everything I held dear, things change.  

Well, I'm now sufficiently depressed! With the exception of number 1, these are all old or older songs, as if they get sadder with age.
I guess 10 is enough, but should I feel like adding more, I'll share some Foo Fighters, Joni Mitchell, Fleetwood Mac, Beck,  Kate Bush, Cyndi Lauper, etc.
Ooh, maybe "Somebody That I Used to Know!" by Gotye. Remember that one? That was a tear jerker.

No comments:

Post a Comment