wood back

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Thrift Hoard: big-ass wall art

I stop into a Savers to kill some time and make myself a little happier and sometimes it works. You ever find a treasure that stops you dead in your tracks? Then, you see the price and yell, "Oh my god, get in my cart!" This didn't actually fit in my cart, but I grabbed this thing fast. (And it was $4.99).

That image is kind of a teaser. It's one of them Turner Wall Accessories. I've heard people say "those things were mass produced, they're a dime a dozen, mad lame, etc." Yeah, whatever, they are awesome. I mean, check this out:

I've spent some time trying to research an accurate price for this thing, but similar items seem to be of higher quality. I feel like I have no idea how to describe this thing.

It's very lightweight; like... thin plywood? The surface is pretty smooth, it doesn't feel painted on. It looks like some kick ass faux-bois, cubism, decoupage; but it's not. It has an artist "signature" deep in the corner: Arno? Maybe "Arnold" and part was cut off by the frame?
All I know is that it's a beautiful, mid century looking piece. It's in very good condition. It's almost 5 feet long but it's not heavy.
Does anybody have experience with a piece like this? I don't know how I'd go about shipping, either, but I suppose Etsy could help there. If anyone has information regarding the pricing of this thrift score, please come forward! I'm very poor and would like to make a few schillings.
By the way, I got this green tulle skirt that I might wear tomorrow. I removed that ruffles along the top there, with a plan to refashion that didn't quite work out. I might wear it.
I got this cute little purse for $3:
I love those old timey closures. I gave it a polishing and some leather wax, I'll list it this week.Oh, and this was the other item that gave me pause:
It's really fun, with its sparkly stripes, lace detail, and bow...but is it vintage? It doesn't have any tags. It looks very Betsey Johnson to me, but for all I know, it's some lame Halloween costume. I don't want to get a bad rep on etsy for selling non vintage items! Someone will be like, "Vintage? Bitch, please, that's the 'slutty stripes' costume I wore to Sorority Halloween Drinkathon!"
I have plans to sell a few things on ebay on of these days. But, not now because it's bed time. So, any info on my big art picture will be rewarded with good karma.
Linking up at Sir Thrift A Lot and Thrifter/Maker/Fixer/Farm. And a week later at a living space! (It's bi-weekly, now.)



No comments:

Post a Comment