wood back

Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Dress to Skirt Refashion (Not very Fall-like)

I really, really like dresses. I just think they're great. So, I'm always disappointed when I check out refashions on others' blogs and see a dress turn into something other than a dress. But, that's what I did here and I'm pretty happy about it.

I bought this summer dress with some sort of lilac-ish flower print in early fall at the Goodwill for $4.99. I looked at the shirred elastic waist and thought it would make a nice skirt, then thought it should stay a nice dress.
As you can see, it's actually not all that flattering as a dress, I tend to avoid empire waists. So, I carefully used the seem ripper--lol, who am I kidding, I grabbed my scissors and started cutting.

I saved those triangle pieces, in case I want to turn them into pockets. Unlikely. I didn't take pictures of the process, because sometimes, I forget things. Basically, I took the elastic shirred center of the dress, which is now the waistline of the skirt and and folded it over, so that the raw edge wasn't sticking out. I hand stitched a few places around the front of the skirt.
Then, I got bored with that, because who wants to stitch by hand? I wasn't about to wait for a sewing machine with elastic threaded, either. For the back, I used about four safety pins to keep the fold over in place. Whatever, I was planning on wearing a belt with it anyway. Then I was so pleased, that I took some pictures. A lot.

 Skirt: Goodwill $4.99, top: Savers $2.99, belt: Savers $2.99, necklace: some thrift store, don't remember,
boots: Marshalls $39.99





Ooh, I'm all artsy with my photo edit effect

No comments:

Post a Comment