wood back

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

I Like Plaid Now: part 1

In addition to my new "thing" of liking full skirts, I also decided to embrace plaid as part of my cold weather wardrobe. Old timey looking stuff, like thick, woolly fabrics with a possible punk/goth edge. Imma try and pull that look off. Some inspirations:

(from Pinterest, look here: inspiration)

The first thing I bought was this green and navy wool/polyester skirt from Goodwill for $2.50.


So, it's a size 10, but I bought it anyway, figuring I could do that easy waistband fix like I did with the green skirt that I'm all in love with. Of course it couldn't be freakin' easy like that. The garment is kinda cheesy, not great quality like the last one, and the elastic waist was all spent. When I pinned the darts in place, I couldn't pull the skirt off, due to lack of stretch. No stretch...what's the easiest fix? I don't know how I came to this conclusion, but I added an external zipper and sewed the darts just like I planned.

Easier than buying something that actually fits! I'm sarcastic. I just pinned a zipper; cut between it's teeth; gave it a few stitches and some fabric glue; then sewed two darts in front, two in the back. Then I covered my shoddy work with a belt. Just look at it, k?


Oh, that's a blue belt that I decided to wear for most of the pictures. I actually got it at Marshalls for about $5. Marshalls and TJ Maxx have a habit of carrying belts from Express on the cheap.



The cardigan is also Express and I got it last year from either Savers of Goodwill. I wore it plenty of times before it found it's way into the dryer and got small. That's actually happened to me a few times. The boots are a Savers find from last Fall and they're by Guess at $14.99. They looked new when purchased, but I must have put many miles on them. Perhaps a shoe shine could help?


Look, I got thigh highs on underneath. I used to wear those all the time when I was 14 years old and had a petite 14 year old's legs (also, they were in style then). I've seen them on the Pinterest. 90's retro.


Look, I'm doing my stern, teacher-lady pose. So, there's a leg pic alongside. This type of outfit just makes me think "serious school teacher." The kids really do seem to like my outfits. Or they're just nice to me, either way, I truly appreciate it when they notice.


Next in my plaid series is a Mad Men looking Banana Republic dress that I picked up over the Summer and is quite impractical. So...stay tuned for that, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment